Practice the DO’s while wearing braces to get the maximum results from your treatment
- Keep your teeth and gums extra clean.
- Stop all bad habits: thumb sucking, fingernail biting, pen and pencil chewing.
- Take extra good care of your braces and all appliances.
- If you have a sweet tooth there are still several sweets that you may eat that will not break braces:
- Chewing Gum
- Hershey bars
- Three Musketeers
- Reeses Peanut Butter Cups
Braces: Foods to Avoid
Don’ts (Foods that definitely break braces)
- Don’t eat popcorn with braces.
- Don’t suck on lemons.
- Don’t chew on ice or nuts.
- Don’t eat corn on the cob without cutting it off the cob first.
- Don’t eat hard or soft pretzels.
- Don’t eat hard, sticky or chewy foods such as hard candy bars, jolly ranchers or gummy bears.
- Don’t eat hard bagels or hoagie rolls.
- Don’t chew meats off the bone: (pork chops, steak, spare ribs, chicken, etc.).
- Don’t eat raw fruits or vegetables without being finely cut up: (apples, carrots, peaches, celery, pears, and plums).
- Don’t eat pizza crust. The soft middle is OK but the hard crust can break braces.
- Don’t play with your braces or appliances.